Home Energy Assistance Program Logo


The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) can offer income-eligible residents of San Joaquin County a credit to their utility bill. Along with the utility credit, clients will also receive valuable information about energy conservation and practical tips on how to save energy and keep your utility bill at a manageable level.

Eligibility, How to Apply and Forms

Check out our January 2024 Assistance Events Flyer in English and Spanish

Priority for HEAP services this year are given to applicants that meet the following criteria.

•Income qualified

•Have a high energy burden

•Has a resident in the household that is part of a vulnerable population (i.e. seniors over 60 years of age, disabled persons, and children under 5 years of age)

The amount of HEAP assistance is calculated based on household size, household income and the percentage of income spent on energy bills, known as the energy burden.

Other factors considered include funding availability and the cost of energy within the county where the household resides. HEAP provides one payment, ranging from $213-$488 every calendar year.

HEAP is not an entitlement, but an assistance program. HEAP will only credit one utility company and that credit will take 8-12 weeks to appear on your utility bill. If you receive a HEAP credit, you are still responsible for paying your utility bill while the credit is being processed.


To apply for HEAP, Water Assistance, or and Weatherization programs, please visit the HEAP Forms Page to download an application and return by mail, or to apply online.



If you are unable to print the application, please call to have an application mailed to your home. Phone lines are open Monday through Friday, 9:00a.m. - 12:00p.m. and from 1:00p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Call (209) 468-1500.



Weatherization Program

The Weatherization Program can assist renters or owners by installing energy saving measures and through repairs to homes, multi-unit dwellings, and mobile homes. These dwellings qualify for weatherization measures if the household income does not exceed a certain amount determined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Your residence may qualify for repair or replacement of a refrigerator, stove, water heater, or microwave; insulation; minor home repair, LED light bulbs; smoke and carbon monoxide detectors; shade screens; weather-stripping; and much more. 

 For more information about the Weatherization program, please contact: (209) 953-SAVE


January 2024 Enrollment Events Flyer In English and In Spanish

Click here for HEAP Flyer

Water Assistance Program

Click here for Water Assistance

The Low Income Home Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) offers a one-time payment to help you pay your past due water or wastewater bills. LIHWAP helps pay overdue bills which accrued during any timeframe (i.e., there is no date restriction on the bill relief period).

January 2024 Enrollment Events Flyer In English and In Spanish

You may qualify if:

  • Your total household gross income is at or below the income or a household member is a current recipient of CalFresh or CalWORKs;
  • You have a past due amount on your water or wastewater bill;
  • You receive service from a community water system or wastewater treatment provider (private wells and septic excluded); and
  • Your water or wastewater system opted into the program.


FOR RENTERS: Applicants that pay their utility costs as a portion of their rent are eligible to receive LIHWAP assistance. To apply for LIHWAP assistance, the renter applicant must meet the following pre-eligibility requirements: 1) The servicing water or wastewater or billing system is authorized to receive direct payment of LIHWAP benefits; 2) Renter applicant, or a member of the household, must be a tenant on the lease; 3) Charges to water and/or wastewater and/or stormwater services are embedded in the monthly rent charges; 4) Must be delinquent or past due on rent; and 5) Able to secure the landlord cooperation to provide information and documents needed to complete the application for assistance.