Energy Assistance

Financial Assistance

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

For qualifying San Joaquin County residents, the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) can make a payment to a utility bill.  Along with the utility credit, clients will also receive valuable information about energy conservation and practical tips on how to save energy and keep your utility bill at a manageable level.  The amount of HEAP assistance is calculated based on household size, household income and the percentage of income spent on energy bills, known as the energy burden.

Priority for HEAP services this year are given to applicants that meet the following criteria

  •   Income qualified
  •  Have a high energy burden
  •  Has a resident in the household that is part of a vulnerable population (i.e. seniors over 60 years of age, disabled persons, and children under 5 years of age)

Other factors considered include funding availability and the cost of energy within the county where the household resides. HEAP can provide one payment annually.

HEAP will only credit one utility company and that credit will take 8-12 weeks to appear on your utility bill. If you receive a HEAP credit, you are still responsible for paying your utility bill while the credit is being processed.

To apply for the HEAP program, you can download the application form from our website and send it in the US mail. Supplemental forms can be located here: Click here to go to the Forms Page.

If you are unable to print the application, please call to have an application mailed to your home. Phone lines are open Monday through Friday, 9:00a.m. - 12:00p.m. and from 1:00p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Call (209) 468-1500. For Spanish, Please call (209) 468-2202.

Weatherization Program

The Weatherization Program can assist renters or owners by installing energy saving measures and through repairs to homes, multi-unit dwellings, and mobile homes. These dwellings qualify for weatherization measures if the household income does not exceed a certain amount determined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Your residence may qualify for repair or replacement of a refrigerator, stove, water heater, or microwave; insulation; minor home repair, LED light bulbs; smoke and carbon monoxide detectors; shade screens; weather-stripping; and much more. 


 For more information, please contact: (209) 953-SAVE