Frequently Asked Questions

The Department of Aging offers a wide variety of services for caregivers. From Respite Services (someone to come take care of your loved one in the home or out of the home) to in-home help YOU may need, we're here to help you. A social worker is available during normal work hours to talk to you. Depending on your needs, the worker can also come to your home and help develop a plan to take care of YOU so you can continue to help your loved one. For more information, or to talk to the Family Caregiver Support social worker, please call 468-1104 or 1-800-510-2020.

Both you and your mother can get help from the Department of Aging. Often, people don't identify themselves as caregivers, but they are! Your mom could benefit from social contacts from Friendly Visitors, to Adult Social Day Care to Congregate meal sites. You also could benefit from some support services to make sure you don't "burn out".

Please check out the Online Directory of Services for a variety of resources and programs that might be available for you.

Abuse can be mental suffering, financial abuse, neglect, isolation, sexual or physical abuse. If you or someone you know about is in immediate danger, call 911 right away. If there is no immediate risk, please contact Adult Protective Services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (209) 468-3780 or 1-888-800-4800.

Several programs are available to assist you with utility bills and rent, depending upon your income and the number of people in your household.

To find out if you qualify for assistance, fill out our online self assessment.

You may also qualify for lower telephone and utility rates through your local utility and telephone providers. Please check our online directory for a service near you.

Online Directory of Services
You may qualify for assistance with payment of your Utility bills through emergency relief organizations, such as Salvation Army. Please check our online directory for an emergency relief organization near you.

Online Directory of Services
For additional information, you may want to visit these web sites. 

There are number of transportation services available. Please check our online directory for a service near you.

There are number of meal services available, such as Meals On Wheels, Congregate Nutrition sites, commodity and brown bag distribution sites, and emergency food banks. Some programs have eligibility requirements. For more information on these services, please check our online directory and search by category for "Food/Nutrition." You'll discover that there are many programs that may be available to help.

For questions on Medicare and Social Security, please visit or

Also, please check our online directory for a listing of "Social Security/SSI/Medicare" resources found in the service category listings.

For assistance in deciding on the best policy for you or your loved one, please contact the Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program at 1-800-434-0222.

There are a number of different programs that can help, whether you need help yourself, or you need more help caring for a senior (age 60 or above). To find out about eligibility, please fill out our online self assessment.

Online Self-Assessment

Also, please check our online directory for a listing of services and programs providing Respite Care or other in-home assistance.

Online Directory of Services

Helpful Numbers

Child Abuse Hotline

(209) 468-1333

Elder Abuse

(209) 468-3780 or
(888) 800-4800

Fraud Hotline

(209) 953-7733